{Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} Re: Review: Amarok 2.x in Kubuntu 9.04 a problem

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sun May 3 00:59:58 MST 2009

Craig, I was not flaming anyone.  I was expressing the consistent belief I
help through all my years AS a software developer and later as a manager of
development.  Yes, that was in the world of commercial software which does
differ from the world of FOSS.  Nevertheless it is a consistent position
which has stood me, my teams, and the software we developed in good stead.
I am not about to change it or hide it just because I am now retired and out
of that environment.

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 7:05 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 18:33 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
>
> > I don't have a problem with the fact that the functionality is not yet
> > complete.  I do have a problem with including it in a distribution
> > where it replaces a version which did have the missing functionality.
> > In fact, I care not for iPOD (never had one and never will).  The
> > principal remains.  If the new release of the program does not contain
> > support for an important feature of the prior release, it should not
> > be included by default in a new distribution [of ubuntu].
> >
> > It is good for users to know how to get the missing functionality.
> ----
> I don't track the discussions that the packages for Ubuntu/Kubuntu have
> but I do track the discussions on Fedora/Red Hat and opinions such as
> the above would surely have slowed KDE 4 development/releases
> substantially.
>
> KDE 4, being a complete re-write meant literally that, a complete
> re-write. While the kdepim functionality was somewhat plugged by
> kde3-libs implementation as a stopgap, there was little enthusiasm for
> the extra work for Amarok until someone stepped in and temporarily
> filled the gap. The primary KDE developers vowed not to simply port the
> code over from kde3 to kde4 and concentrate their energies towards
> rewriting everything using QT4 libraries. I suppose you would have to
> define your tems of 'important feature of the prior release' because
> given a wide ranging definition, Ubuntu would still be on KDE 3.5.x.
>
> My opinion of those who do not participate in the packaging/development
> mail lists of a distribution and then complain about the decisions tend
> to wear me out.
>
> If you are using KDE 4.2.x, you probably recognize how well things are
> turning out (which also came with kdepim QT4 code). All things in time.
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry