{Disarmed} Re: Review: Amarok 2.x in Kubuntu 9.04 a problem

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:33:25 MST 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 16:33 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> >

> > On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com>
> > wrote:
> >         I have been very happy with my 6 days of Kubuntu 9.04 use.
> >          Easy to
> >         install, nice icons and desktop, easy to add applications and
> >         running
> >         smoothly.
> >
> >         I cranked up Amarok for managing my music and podcasts.
> >          Version 2.x
> >         looks very nice and it plays music great.  Then I grabbed my
> >         iPod to
> >         sync and found Amarok did not have a Devices tab.  Thinking I
> >         must be
> >         missing some library or something else, I went on a hunt.  As
> >         the hunt
> >         grew longer and I could only find complaints about missing
> >         devices
> >         connections, I got irritated.
> >
> >         Jumping onto the MailScanner has detected a possible fraud
> >         attempt from "irc.ubuntu.com01" claiming to be
> >         irc.ubuntu.com:8001 connection and channel #kubuntu,
> >         I asked about the Devices tab in Amarok.  The answer shocked
> >         me:
> >         Amarok 2.x does not support devices yet.  Wha?
> >
> >         User ActionParsnip provided the steps to get Amarok 1.4
> >         installed on
> >         my Kubuntu 9.04 system.  People use a Personal Package Archive
> >         (PPA)
> >         to create packages for their Ubuntu flavor that don't exist in
> >         the
> >         main archives.  ActionParsnip gave me the link to his PPA that
> >         provides Amarok 1.4.  Here are the steps to take:
> >
> >         1. Open a Konsole or other command line window.
> >
> >         2. Remove the Amarok 2.x application to avoid confusion later.
> >         Enter
> >         the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get remove amarok"
> >
> >         2. Enter the command (without the quotes): "kdesudo
> >         kate /etc/apt/sources.list"
> >
> >         3. Add the following two lines to the bottom of the
> >         sources.list file:
> >
> >         deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
> >         deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty
> >         main
> >
> >         4. Save the file and close kate
> >
> >         5. Enter the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get
> >         update"
> >
> >         6. Enter the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get
> >         install amarok14"
> >
> >         The Amarok icon in your application menus is now Amarok 1.4.
> >          You'll
> >         have to change it's settings to point at your music
> >         collection, etc.
> >         In my case, it pulled all my podcasts from my previous
> >         configuration
> >         just fine, which would have been a pain to set up again!
> >
> >         And now my iTunes free iPod is syncing my music just fine!
> >
> >         Alan
>

> > Thanks Alan,  I don't care much for KDE, but I did load Kubuntu 9.04
> [...]

I don't have a problem with the fact that the functionality is not yet
complete.  I do have a problem with including it in a distribution where it
replaces a version which did have the missing functionality.  In fact, I
care not for iPOD (never had one and never will).  The principal remains.
If the new release of the program does not contain support for an important
feature of the prior release, it should not be included by default in a new
distribution [of ubuntu].

It is good for users to know how to get the missing functionality.

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry