Review: Amarok 2.x in Kubuntu 9.04 a problem

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Sat May 2 16:33:27 MST 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Alan Dayley <alandd at consultpros.com> wrote:

> I have been very happy with my 6 days of Kubuntu 9.04 use.  Easy to
> install, nice icons and desktop, easy to add applications and running
> smoothly.
>
> I cranked up Amarok for managing my music and podcasts.  Version 2.x
> looks very nice and it plays music great.  Then I grabbed my iPod to
> sync and found Amarok did not have a Devices tab.  Thinking I must be
> missing some library or something else, I went on a hunt.  As the hunt
> grew longer and I could only find complaints about missing devices
> connections, I got irritated.
>
> Jumping onto the irc.ubuntu.com:8001 connection and channel #kubuntu,
> I asked about the Devices tab in Amarok.  The answer shocked me:
> Amarok 2.x does not support devices yet.  Wha?
>
> User ActionParsnip provided the steps to get Amarok 1.4 installed on
> my Kubuntu 9.04 system.  People use a Personal Package Archive (PPA)
> to create packages for their Ubuntu flavor that don't exist in the
> main archives.  ActionParsnip gave me the link to his PPA that
> provides Amarok 1.4.  Here are the steps to take:
>
> 1. Open a Konsole or other command line window.
>
> 2. Remove the Amarok 2.x application to avoid confusion later. Enter
> the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get remove amarok"
>
> 2. Enter the command (without the quotes): "kdesudo kate
> /etc/apt/sources.list"
>
> 3. Add the following two lines to the bottom of the sources.list file:
>
> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
> deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/bogdanb/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
>
> 4. Save the file and close kate
>
> 5. Enter the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get update"
>
> 6. Enter the command (without the quotes): "sudo apt-get install amarok14"
>
> The Amarok icon in your application menus is now Amarok 1.4.  You'll
> have to change it's settings to point at your music collection, etc.
> In my case, it pulled all my podcasts from my previous configuration
> just fine, which would have been a pain to set up again!
>
> And now my iTunes free iPod is syncing my music just fine!
>
> Alan

Thanks Alan,  I don't care much for KDE, but I did load Kubuntu 9.04 on a
test machine the other day and had a problem getting to my device.  Now I
know why.  Nice of them to "upgrade Amarok" by removing an important
function.  I wonder why they released this premier audio app before it was
ready.  Would not be a big deal except ...

I normally run Amarok on my ubuntu boxen and it is not on this machine which
I upgraded from ubuntu 8.10 to 9.04.  Amarok is not in my menu so either the
upgrade removed it from this non-KDE box or I never installed it.  I'll have
to check other machines.  In any case, now that I know about this, I will be
able to deal with it.  Thanks

--
Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry