OT: "enhanced interrogation" (was: Re: HackFest Series: TrueCrypt is Now Detectable)

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Fri May 1 15:14:49 MST 2009

Yeah, that's why TrueCrypt's ability to "hide" the volume on a device is
so awesome. The idea is, people don't realize anything is even there to
BE encrypted.

One thing I was reading about with regard to plausible deniability is to
hide your volumes inside of other files. For example, I have a jump
drive that just happens to have a redist copy of DirectX on it. In
there, I tossed a new file that is named similarly to the other files
and is similar in size. If someone were to check the drive, it would
appear to just be a binary file in the DirectX software. It is, in fact,
and encrypted volume that I use to store my passwords (as encrypted with
Password Gorilla).

The only trick, then, is to change the date of the volume back to the
date of all the other files whenever it is changed.

The idea being that I can deny that there's anything of interest I know
about on the drive, and it's plausible because it looks like it's just a
copy of DirectX..... along with a bunch of other drivers and freeware
tools for fixing windoze boxes. It's there, hiding in plain sight.

Just my 2 cents.

-Joe