looking for db recommendation

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 10:22:15 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:57 AM, mz <mz at infomagic.net> wrote:
> I'm migrating from M$ WinXP to openSUSE 11.0. At the moment I'm looking
> for a db for simple personal use.
>
> I have a music collection db in M$ Access. There are about 1900 records
> w/ six variables. The collection is mostly vinyl LPs (i.e., entered by
> hand) with another 2000 LPs not yet in the db. If possible, I'd like
> to do a simple import w/ minimal clean up to avoid re-entering the
> existing records.

SQLite is a popular choice.   You probably already use it all over the
place - Firefox embeds it, as do many cell phones and other apps.

I've played with Mono + SQLite and it's very easy to get going.  It
can still run on any platform, including Windows, so you could do a
quick program to pump the data into SQLite using native .Net libs to
hit Access and SQLite.    I don't generally recommend Mono or any .Net
language for web-based work, simply because there are so many more
suitable options that work on every platform.   That said, it's very
nice for fat clients, especially with the GUI builder in VS Express
and Monodevelop (which I highly recommend).    Obviously, Java is also
an option, but for what you're doing, the Mono setup will get out of
your way a lot faster and let you get the job done.

I'd also recommend checking out Django with a SQLite backend if you're
interested in switching to a web-based UI.    The framework provides
almost everything you'll want and lets you just model your data and
skin your site without mucking around in framework land too long.
I know somebody is going to pipe in and mention Ruby on Rails, but it
won't be me ;)

-Al