I want to start X app on display:0 remotely. How?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Mon Mar 30 09:27:28 MST 2009

From: "kitepilot at kitepilot.com" <kitepilot at kitepilot.com>
> I have a machine running remotely which I can ONLY SSH into.
> I know that the machine is running X and "operator" is logged in and
> [has access to :0]
>
> What I want is to:
> ssh -l operator remote.host
> (insert some magic here) kcalc

> Now kcalc pops on display:0 and operator can see and use kcalc

There are multiple ways of doing this.  If you log in via ssh as
operator, and operator has the appropriate MIT Magic Cookie in his ~
, then all you have to do is:

export DISPLAY=:0
nohup kcalc &

...and kcalc will show up on :0 of the machine you logged in to.
This should work without a problem.  There are access control
things to think about if you log in as a user who doesn't have
the magic cookie required for access to :0, naturally.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows