starting by iptable deny all of china is a good start. - Re: OT? Linux-based trojans now targeting WRT and other linux-based routers

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Mon Mar 30 08:46:35 MST 2009

Andrew "Tuna" Harris wrote:
> Excerpts from kitepilot at kitepilot.com's message of Mon Mar 30 05:30:51 -0700 2009:
>
>> And how do I:
>> "starting by iptable deny all of china" ?
>>
>> I can figure out the "iptable" part, it is the "china" part (and other
>> possible places where I know I will only get spam from) that I am unaware
>> of...
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Enrique
>>

> Easy! There are online lists of Chinese and Korean IP blocks that you
> can deny. I found one that came with a perl script to do it all
> automagically.
>
> http://is.gd/pEsB
>
> That guy has some other interesting things too. Nice blog he's got goin'
> there.
>
> But I HIGHLY suggest you read those files to make sure there's nothing
> you don't want blocked out. You can just comment out things you don't
> want blocked in the access.list file. It's all plaintext.
>
> And definitely give ANYTHING you run as root a second look. This script
> is okay for me but it's always good to be a little paranoid.
>

>> Lisa Kachold writes:
>>

>>> Well, the sad fact is that _any_ machine will kick over and barf it's guts under distributed attacks; it just depends on what it does after the green slime clears..
>>> Also, it really helps if you run one that won't take WRT, or only runs on an arm, with small memory therefore they aren't too hot to pwn you.  Linksys put out the source, whereupon I built my own, and played with the features; you know kiddies are doing this also.
>>>
>>> Course, if you have a WRT-able router, it's a good idea to set it up as a small linux system, but you have to know how to work it; starting by iptable deny all of china is a good start.
>>> I have had mine owned regularly; I just flash it again.  Mine is easy to determine, since it suddenly starts showing AIM ports open.  Once they target you successfully, they will insidiously continue to keep track of you; rather like trophy hunting.
>>> I could have done a complete defcon presentation on various routers by this time.
>>> That's why I always suggest to everyone, if you see something strange, you see something strange, report it, complain, study it, rather than continuing to agree with everyone in denial about the sad state of security.
>>> Obnosis | (503)754-4452
>>>

>>> PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM

I only perused it quickly, but it looked to me like that guys script
blocks EVERYTHING except trusted IPs, not just china? It has an "INPUT
-p tcp --dport 22 -j DROP" at the end.  I don't understand why it goes
through the trouble to block china IP blocks, if its blocking
*everything* other than the trusted list anyway?
"*The access.list file is pre-configured to drop packets from all of the
IP blocks* at http://www.okean.com/antispam/sinokorea.html.  However,
you should jump to the bottom of *access.list* and add any trusted IP's
(e.g., work and home) that you want to accept SSH traffic from.  _By
default, any other incoming requests on port 22 from addresses you don't
trust will be dropped_."

Please tell me if I am wrong, after all it is Monday morning and I may
not be thinking clearly :)