Ubuntu 8.10 (to Josef)

Joe lists at joefleming.net
Fri Mar 27 11:14:15 MST 2009

This may be a because you're using Compiz. I thought there was a setting
in there for the number of workspaces, but now I don't see it. You can
try setting it directly with gconf-editor. In 8.10, navigate to
/apps/metacity/general and change "num_workspaces" to whatever you want
and see if that'll fix it. I personally run the Desktop Cube via Compiz,
so that value makes no difference to me (it's set to 2, but the cube
gives you 4 workspaces). Simply switching from Expo to the Wall might
also help, I don't know.

If you want to tweak Compiz, sudo apt-get install simple-ccsm. Hope that
helps. Of course, if you're not using Compiz and you still can't change
the settings, then this won't help and I'm out of suggestions.

-Joe