Ubuntu 8.10 (to Josef)

Matthew A Coulliette matthewmpp at cox.net
Wed Mar 25 16:22:57 MST 2009

Josef Lowder wrote:
> On 3/25/09, Matthew A Coulliette <matthewmpp at cox.net> wrote:
>
>>  I felt the same way about Suse 10.2 as you do about PCLinux, until I
>>  switched to Ubuntu 8.10.
>>

> Thanks for sharing your experience and your perspective, Matt
>
> >From your comments, I'm guessing that you have never tried PCL. You
> might enjoy giving it a spin some time.  If you had ever tried PCL, I
> seriously doubt that you would have ever gone to Ubuntu.
>
> For me, the multiple desktop feature is a major issue.  I am using 4
> desktops most of the time and may need to add a 5th. I can't imagine
> trying to do my work without this feature above all else.
>
> Like you, I also tried Suse, and I can certainly understand why you
> would have switched away from it.
>

>>  I had to give up kde and get used to using "sudo"
>>

> I definitely prefer kde and su and can't imagine giving up either.
>

>> There are 2 bugs that I know of.
>>

> There are *no* bugs that I know of with PCL (The virtual box problem
> that I recently discussed is a virtual box problem, not a PCL
> problem.)
>

>> 1. the edit menu command does not save changes properly
>>

> Works perfectly with PCL
>

>>  2. There is no way to  add desktops/workspaces.
>>

> No problem here with PCL.
>

>> although a gui does pop up on my computer it is missing a lot of the
>> desktop/workspace options
>>

> No problems like this with PCL
>

>> I plan on submitting a bug report on launchpad in the near future.
>>

> I've never had to submit a bug report on PCL.
>

>> The only other flaw I know of is 2 packages I like: pgcalc & cinelerra.
>> Which I am going to submit a request for in the near future
>>

> To each his own ;)

Thanks for your reply Josef,

I do miss having more vitual desktops, it is a problem that I hope to
remedy soon.  I believe the problem with the menu editor is a glitch
with the gnome desktop environment.  I have been using linux on and off
for 7 years now and have installed and tried about 100 different
versions #'s and different distro's; and ubuntu is by far the best one I
have ever used.  If I had the time I would install and try PCLinux.
Unfortunately, there just isn't enough time to try them all.  As to
which distro we each choose I will quote xHans: "That's why we have both
chocolate and vanilla."

Take care and Have Fun.
MatthewMPP