How to recover X display?

Josef Lowder joe at actionline.com
Mon Mar 23 10:59:03 MST 2009

On 3/23/09, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net> wrote:

> USB drive, shirley?

When I plug in a flash stick into a USB drive, it no longer gets mounted now,
so I cannot copy files to it.  It always did get mounted before this
virtual box
installation crashed "X"

> This is an X problem IIRC.  The module being referred to is the X
>  module, not a kernel module.  Did X get upgraded at some point?

As far as I can tell, "X" did not get upgraded or changed.

>  The thing that's messed up is /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/v4l_drv.*
>  AFAICT.  If you have any reference to v4l in your xorg.conf , then
>  edit that file and comment that line out.  Your webcam and/or TV
>  tuner will stop being able to use XV, but you'll get X back.  Also,

Tried editing out the line referring to "v4l" and rebooted, but that did
not bring back "X"

>  grep Driver /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>  lspci | grep VGA
>
>  ...will tell you which X module you're using and which graphics
>  card you have.

Doing that showed this:
01:00 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility M7 LW
 [Radeon Mobility 7500]

> In fact, you should take your xorg.conf and put
>  it on your website somewhere, then follow up with a URL here.

I would do that, but I have to copy that file off of the broken system
as I can't use a USB flash stick .