How to recover X display?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Mar 22 19:23:26 MST 2009

Updates between versions are sometimes a lottery!

Let's look at how we must package a problem for the PLUG:  We follow these steps (dumping into email):

1) What is it (versions, etc)?
2) What is she whining about (Linux like any good partner will tell you very clearly what is the issue)?

[Ignore my installation references for Ubuntu's Virtualbox (they are just info); but possibly an update to the ABI module or v41 module were done during the installation?]

Check the file creation date for your Grub at /here/boot/grub/menu.lst
Check to verify what she is currently booting there - look for backup files and diff.

Discussion:  http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=54523.0

We might logically research the exact Xorg errors for these, spoze?

3) Research our error for known solutions:

module ABI major version (1) doesn't match server's version (2)
failed to load module "v41" (module requirement mismatch,0)

PCLinuxOs virtualbox module issues

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=611644

4) The Zen of Troubleshooting, "The error is the problem"

Looks like you have a kernel module mismatch grasshopper.

Obnosis | (503)754-4452

PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM