Which Java to use?

Bryan O'Neal boneal at cornerstonehome.com
Fri Mar 20 14:10:14 MST 2009

Personally, I would just use java -1.6.0-sun and java-1.6.0-sun-plugin.  1.6
is backwards compatible (up to a certain point) and you will be fine.  On a
side note there are open JRE's out their, but I have run into trouble with
them and like to stick with sun's versions.

As for the rest, you don't need JDBC unless your running local java database
apps, nor do you need alsa unless your running local java sound apps, etc.,
etc.