IE's Death Imminent

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Mar 20 10:47:10 MST 2009

From: Joe <lists at joefleming.net>
> It's still on the edge of being a rumor (though more are starting to
> confirm it), but it seems like IE8 is going to be the last IE ever.
> http://apcmag.com/microsoft-to-drop-internet-explorer-for-gazelle.htm
>
> In any event, while I have my doubts about it being much of an
> improvement in the end, I look forward to a world without IE!!

"So now, we have to test the web pages we wrote on IE7, IE8, Firefox,
Konqueror, and Gazelle.  <SARCASM> Thanks a lot, guys! </SARCASM>"

Also, if it truly uses a different engine for rendering, it'll break
all the sites that are IE-only, and a bunch of people will have a
large number of cows.  So yeah, that's probably not going to happen.
Unless they put in a "switch between old rendering engine and new
one" button, which will merely keep the old problems around.  Ah
well.  There's no easy way to move forward with something like this;
I just hope the end result will suck less for users and people who
write HTML/CSS/PHP/other web stuff.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows