Kernel Panic

koder hmichels01 at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 19 21:17:29 MST 2009

Can anyone give me an idea of where to go to recover from this kernel
panic?  Harold

The overall goal was to put together a lab system for the RHCE course I
am taking. The immediate project is learning to use fdisk to create LVM
groups.

I am not tryig to get someone to do my homework for me, but I have a
week invested in this project and a functionally dead computer.

To get this to work I needed a system with two drives. I took a 120G
dual boot from a previous machine and installed it as a master drive
with a 30 G drive that I have been using for a couple of months as a
CentOS system for loading and messing about for assignments.

I loaded CentOS on the 120G AS Master and the 30g as slave. I took
defaults for disk layout. That gave me a conventional CentOS on /dev/hda
and /dev/hdb all as one 30G partition.

I loaded on the upgrades and setting some things like changing video
settings and such rebooting about four or five times with no issues.

Now on to my homework assignment:

Using fdisk on /dev/hdb, and checking that I was on hdb, not hda using p
to printout the configuration, I set it up with 3 partitions set to type
8e, and then the fourth as extended. Inside of that I created five more
partitions that were to be lumped onto one large volume.

After I gave it w for write I was told to that the system was using the
partition table and it would be available after rebooting the system.

On reboot I get a kernel panic returned. The only way I know to resolve
this is to reload the OS. I feel like I am working with Windows.

******
Here is what I recorded from the monitor. The typos are mine.
******

root (hd0,5)

kernel /vmlinux-2.6.18-92.1.22e15 ro root=dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet

[Linux-bzImafge, setup=0x1e00, size=1b6e74]

initrd /initrd-2.6.18-93.11.22e15.img

[Linux-initrd @ 0x1fcef000, 0x2fce71 bytes]

Memory for crash kernel 90x0 to 0x0) int within permissible range

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting

Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...

Found volume group “VolumeGroup00” using metadata type lvm2

device-mapper: table 253:0: linear: dm-linear: Device lookup failed

device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument

2 logical volume(s) involume group “VolGroup00” now active

Unable to access resume device (/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol101)

mount: could not find filesystem '/dev/root'

setuproot: moving /dev failed: No such file or directory

setuproot: error mounting /proc: No such file of directory

setuproot: error mounting /sys: No such file of directory

switchroot: mount failed: No such file or directory

kernel panic – not synching: Attempted to kill init!