Looking For Advice on Web Cams and Streaming Video

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Thu Mar 19 11:17:21 MST 2009

Note that both motion and zoneminder do not record sound (dont know if
you care about that).

I think the best option is ustream.tv, as it is completely free service,
and you can even record (on the ustream server side) very long
broadcasts and they do not charge you either. This negates the need for
disk space to store the video.

Most USB webcams work just fine with linux, and the ustream recorder is
Flash-based, so no software to install.  As for bandwidth I would guess
you dont need much maybe 1Mb/s, any wifi connection will definitely do
but not sure if you use 3G or some gsm-based card will be enough.