Music Software that DOESN'T Suck?

Andrew "Tuna" Harris tuna at supertunaman.com
Wed Mar 18 04:22:00 MST 2009

I'm looking for some music software that doesn't suck. My experience
with Amarok was excellent, but there are certain things that I have
developed a strong distaste for, a few of which Amarok more than readily
picks up on. We went our separate ways, peacefully but still longing for
something... I know not about Amarok but I have not found what my heart
seeks in this world.

But here's what I'm sick of.

* Integration with a specific desktop environment

If Amarok had a nice GUI that didn't require mad things like kdelibs, I
would happily readopt it. Maybe something like FLTK or just plain QT
without this KDE integration nonsense. Same with Rhythmbox, and its
GNOME nonsense. I shouldn't have to compile and install GConf as well if
it's only going to be used for like one or two apps!

* C#/Mono apps for Linux

I don't even understand this. Call me a purist, but when you think, "GUI
application for Linux to organize and play music", what possesses you to
think "Ah! C# with Mono!" Don't get me wrong, Mono is a wonderful thing.
It can be very useful for getting .NET stuff to work on Linux with
little to no modification. But what exactly makes Mono C# the language
of choice for... anything, really?

* Inability to Control Things without using the GUI

Here's something that should, in one way or another, be built into every
GUI app, ever. I had this trouble with XChat. I just hate it when I
absolute MUST have the GUI to do things, the seemingly simplest of
tasks. It's like bringing twelve lead-plated life rafts on a cruise.
There is seemingly no situation in which you would ever need them, yet
the fax said you have to bring them.

Pretty much, I need something that doesn't suck, is written in a
somewhat respectable language, and demand a crapload of dependencies
that I won't need in a week or when I get tired of the software.

Right now I'm using Songbird, and I started hating it about five minutes
into using it.

inb4 letmegooglethatforyou.com. I have googled, and I found this:
http://mpd.wikia.com/

Anyone use it before? What do you think?

Thanks!

-tuna