WRT54G questions

Joe Fleming joe at selectitaly.com
Tue Mar 17 11:02:38 MST 2009

Version number is everything with the G's. All of the newer ones (past
few years) all use a different, unsupported chip and now all run VxWorks
instead of Linux. Versions from 5.0 on all come with VxWorks in fact,
though it looks like you can use VxWorks Killer on some of the newer
models and run Linux again, but I don't know for sure if any of the
third party firmwares will run on there (though I would assume that's
why you would use VxWorks Killer). I haven't used the G model in a long
time so I'm a little out of touch.

They released the GL which runs Linux out of the box (in fact, the L
stands for Linux). The GL can be flashed without problem. It usually
costs a couple bucks more, but it's well worth it! If you're buying a
new router, get a GL and don't worry about it. If you have a newer
version G that can't be hacked, eBay it and pick up a GL.

Wikipedia has a bunch of info on the different models.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

-Joe