semi-WRT related

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Tue Mar 17 08:44:47 MST 2009

Just thought I would mention that one of the projects I am working on
involves creating a solar-powered wireless mesh. The end application
will be used for internet and security (surveillance) in a remote
location that has limited power available. The core of this system uses
specific WRT-based routers (that have USB ports), that, with a
customized firmware can run mjpeg-streamer
(http://mjpg-streamer.wiki.sourceforge.net/) which turns most HD webcams
into a cheap wireless camera. mjpeg-streamer uses surprisingly little
CPU and gives you most of the features of expensive PTZ cameras.

Anyhow, I am currently evaluating various WRT routers for use with this
and other applications.  My criteria are:
* Needs to be able to run open-wrt or similar firmware (needs to run
mjpeg-streamer)
* Low power usage - best I have found so far is Asus 500 series which
only needs 5V and very low current draw even when powering the USB ports.
* Must have USB ports - Need a place to plug the cameras in :-)

If anyone is interested I will gladly post updates on my progress and
findings.

--
Charles R. Jones II
charles.jones at ciscolearning.org