Samba Permissions

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:48:51 MST 2009

Sorry for the late reply:

The Linux permissions include:

/ipc  group:ipc user:ipc

/ipc/ipc group:ipc user: ipc
/ipc/cbs group: cbs user:cbs

Two companies (IPC, CBS) get each folder. IPC employees don't need access to
cbs, but cbs needs access to ipc. I created CBS users and added them to the
cbs group, the ipc group, and the ipc-users group. I chmoded everything to
770. The users didn't have access. Below are my samba settings

[ipc]
path = /ipc
read only = no
create mask = 0775
valid users = @ipc-users

If I chmod to 777, they have access, if they change it to 770, they don't,
making me thing I don't have the groups properly setup. if I run "groups
<some_user>", it shows the correct groups added.

Thanks,
Eric