Unavailable Partitions in Ubuntu

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Sun Mar 15 09:42:23 MST 2009

Mike Bushroe Happily Submitted the Following Puzzle:

I recently witched from SuSe to Ubuntu 8.10, and I am having trouble accessing several of my partitions. When I double click on the 174.3 GB Media line in the left pane of the file browser window, I get "The volume uses the resierfs file system which is not supported by your system." I have tried looking in my /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab and neither one contains the mispelled file system. I also tried Parted, and it too shows the correct file system type. Where else is Ubuntu storing the incorrectly spelled file system name that prevents me from opening the old SuSe partitons?

I am also having the same problem with accessing the Windows partitions. There I get "VFAT32" is not supported.

Mike
---------------------------------------

1) Verify what this is:

Please post the output of the following for us:

# cat /etc/fstab
# sudo df -k
# sudo mount
# sudo vgscan
# sudo lvdisplay

For instance, verify your /mnt/etc/fstab is not mounting a lvm partition say using the device /dev/vg/root or /dev/vg/$n or example:
            /dev/hda3       /    ext2       defaults 1 1

          in lvm looks like this:
            /dev/vg/root    /    ext2       defaults 1
2) Once you know how this happened, especially the "resierfs" consider all options related to how it happened.

It's obviously not a known Ubuntu setup option to misspell the file type?  If this is a partition that someone created via pvcreate or an encrypted file system (say via Luxs https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EncryptedFilesystemLVMHowto) you certainly want to completely evaluate your

3) Consider Solutions:
(Once you determine if this is an encrypted partition error or issue with LVM uuid (or simply iode veracity on the platter - choose one, or start at number one and work down):

a) FSCK
1) Simple FSCK
Boot into LiveCD Recovery Mode and fsck the SATA drives/partitions.

2) Check/FSCK an encrypted partition.
			1. Boot the Ubuntu Desktop CD.

  Verify you have installed  lvm2 and cryptsetup packages

	Code:
	sudo locate lvm2
sudo locate cryptsetup
3. Check to see if kernel cyrptsetup module is loaded :

	Code:
	sudo modprobe dm-crypt
4. Run fsck

	Code:
	fsck /dev/mapper/<root>
Where <root> = your root partition (It will be the name of your LVM volume - root)

If you do not know the name, determine where your HD SATA was mounted via fdisk/fstab and fsck it.  From a LiveCD you can happily fsck the whole SATA.

 c) LVM2 issues

1. LVM uuid issues:

						Often this is an issue between one distro and another: ID label wrong.
Can’t figure out how to get the Suse ID Label recognised in /etc/fstab

You can use one of two tools to figure out the UUID of a filesystem.
‘dumpe2fs /dev/sdb1′ or ‘ls /dev/disk/by-uuid’   or `vol_id –uuid /dev/sdb1. ’ Once you get the long
UUID string, you can use that in lieu of the /dev file. You can even
use the file system label but that’s another subject.

					2. Incorrect metadata

If you get the vgscan warning "incorrect metadata area header checksum"
	or something about not being able to find PV with UUID foo,
	you probably toasted the volume group descriptor area and lvm
	startup can't occur.

Only run on non-functional VG

lvm partition you could be able to recover physical volume metadata:

	Extract the exact uuid for the PV that was overwritten from the file
	/etc/lvm/archive/VolumeGroupName_XXXXX.vg.
	(Where XXXXX represents the number of the last known good archived lvm
	metadata).

	 Use pvcreate to restore the metadata:
	 pvcreate --uuid "<some_long_string>" --restorefile /etc/lvm/archive/VolumeGroupName_XXXXX.vg <PhysicalVolume>

Warning: Do not do this on a functional LVM; you will possibly lose all your data.

c) Suse to Ubuntu known LVM compatibility:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2931425/Novell-Suse-Linux-enterprise-Server-10-Storage-Asministration-Guide-For-EVMS

BE SURE TO POST YOUR RESULTS TO THE REQUEST FOR FULL TROUBLESHOOTING INFO, so we can help you before you try something really advanced?