Is my DVD burner beginning to fail?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 21:35:12 MST 2009

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:17 PM, mz <mz at infomagic.net> wrote:

> On Friday 13 March 2009 03:22:57 pm Dazed_75 wrote:
> >
> > I have also had some problems recently with the burner in my HP
> > laptop.  The most recent was using K3B in ubuntu 8.10 to burn a DVD
> > .iso  and each attempt would fail with a write error.  Then I let the
> > default Brasero try and was successful (and on one of the media which
> > had failed so actually nothing had been written to it).  I have
> > always preferred to use K3B without problem before.  No clue what is
> > going on here.
> >

> While I empathize with your situation, Larry, I believe there is a
> difference. In my situation, the CD-Rs are reported as being
> successfully burned. The problem is not discernible until attempting to
> play in a CD player. Unfortunately, I suspect your problem may be the
> same as mine. Our drives are on their way to that eternal sleep. ;0)

Actually, I sometimes have that problem with CDs as well.  They seem to burn
fine but sometimes do not read properly.  My point however, was that we both
had an unexpected problem with the normally very dependable K3B.  But in my
case, it seemed to be resolved by using a different program to do the
burning.  Is it possible that some update of K3B has made it less
dependable?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry