Audigy makes it WORSE, now what?

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:40:51 MST 2009

Install and open up alsamixer.   The channels are often muted by default.  I
forgot about that.   I can go into more detail later when I'm at my
computer, but a quick google of "alsa audigy mute" should turn up some
useful results.

-al

On Mar 13, 2009 4:15 PM, "wayne" <waydavis at cox.net> wrote:

Al Tobey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 9:39 AM, wayne <waydavis at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I have run into a issue with my Kubuntu System configuration.
>>
>> I play a game called Urban Terror - online.
>> I also need to run TEAMSPEAK, a  2-way comm app that works like a party
>> line.
>>
>> If I start TS first, i cannot hear the game sounds
>> If I start the game first, I cannot leave its window to start TS
>>
>> I cannot run both at the same time and i need to.
>>
>> What card should  use?  Looking for the most INEXPENSIVE
>>

> Soundblaster Audigy (NOT Audigy 2)
>
> Even with pulseaudio, alsa dmix, and all the other software solutions,
> it will always be an exercise in pain to get multiple applications
> working and keep them working.   If you want to do it the right way
> and do it cheaply, go with your first instinct and pick up a cheap
> first-generation Audigy.  I think I got mine for $40 3 or 4 years ago,
> so if you can find one, it should be affordable.   Everything "just
> works" and you even get some hardware acceleration.   The Linux
> support has been great for years.    You'll also find that since it
> supports multiple channels in hardware, even pulseaudio will work
> better and be more convenient since you wont' have to play with weird
> hacks every time you try something new.
>
> I bet there are lots around used on ebay and the like, but if you prefer
new:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102012
>
> -Al
>
> I bought a audigy, NOT a II.  Installed it, and now I get no
> Microphone from headset.

Game sound will play, teakspeak show MUTE and I cannot change it.

Idea's??????