Is my DVD burner beginning to fail?

mz mz at infomagic.net
Fri Mar 13 09:04:35 MST 2009

I burn copies of music CDs to take to the office or traveling. This past
week, I burned half a dozen different titles. Half were bad. Subsequent
attempts were inconsistently successful, and I discovered some of
the "good" ones played on only some players. Overall, a number of them
play on only some players, others don't play at all, and some play some
of the time. When they don't play, the CD players say there is either
no disc, "error," or an error w/ the TOC.

The drive is a NEC DVD+RW NC-2100AD. Results are the same regardless of
the CD-R substrate.

The program I'm using is K3B on openSUSE 11.0 w/ KDE. These are the
first problems I've run into since switching to GNU/Linux this past
November. The log doesn't show anything really obvious, which it would
have to be for me to spot it.

Any ideas as to what to investigate? Or should I just start shopping for
a new drive?

TIA,
Mark Z.