HackFest This Saturday at UAT Noon until 3ISH BUFFER OVERFLOWs In Linux

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Thu Mar 12 22:15:47 MST 2009

University of Advancing Technology.

http://www.UAT.EDU

Nosis| Obnosis | (503)754-4452

PLUG Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each Month at Noon - 3PM

Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:16:09 -0700
To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
From: L.tuttle at cox.net
Subject: Re: HackFest This Saturday at UAT Noon until 3ISH BUFFER	OVERFLOWs In Linux

At 05:21 PM 3/12/2009, you wrote:

Join us at UAT in room 128, as
we discuss the wonderful world of buffer overflow exploits in Linux
Security:

Agenda:

Noon until 12:30 Greet, boot and rummage for last minute items.

12:30 to 12:45 Download presentation materials, get machines going.

12:45 Start Presentation - Lisa Kachold

OverView History of Buffer Overflows

Simplified Stack Architecture

            Code
disassembly and build tools

            Stack
overflow demonstration

            Layer
Up or Stack above TCP

            Layer
Down or Stack through to Application Layer

            Proof
of Exploit on Production Systems

            Layer
8 or Mitigating the Risks

2:00 Break

2:15 Hack to Learn Labs

We have desktops limited by UAT for web proxy and DNS/DHCP
[Microsoft/Cisco MAC Address hammered down] running Win XP; we can boot
Live CD's - but complete Internal DNS is also limited by MSDNS (external
DNS is filtered) - so if you can port forward to your own DNS cache
server for external DNS you have a fully featured Linux.

UAT Wireless works, so if you bring your own Notebooks and LiveCD's you
can easily hack using both systems, referring to reference materials via
your own equipment.

Alternately during the lab portion, we can successfully work in teams (to
obtain escalated privs via buffer overflow) from one UAT Desktop running
LiveCD while researching lab materials and accessing online sources from
the other XP.

These are basic skills for everyone to grasp, so come on
over.

Uh, it's that basic stuff that has me
worried....  Heck, I don't even know what UAT is, let alone
MSDNS.......<G>

Everyone
attending HackFests agree to interact as ethical professionals, target
only the systems that are clearly designated, and announce all
flags.

Nosis| Obnosis |
(503)754-4452

PLUG
Linux Security Labs 2nd Saturday Each
Month at Noon - 3PM

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to
meet.

Check it out.