anyone know of a good USB DVD writer that works well with ubuntu?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Mar 5 11:57:48 MST 2009

From: Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net>
> in my new notebook, my internal DVD drive is crap. It works fine in
> Winblows, but not in ubuntu 8.10.

Post the make and model# of the laptop, so that other people know what
not to buy.  Also, if the DVD+-RW didn't work, how did you get Ubuntu
installed?

> I need a DVD reader/writer that will work in USB in ubuntu 8.10.

All USB2 DVD+-RWs are supposed to follow the USB Mass Storage standard,
so any USB2 DVD+-RW should Just Work as long as its IDs are in the
USB subsystem's database.  IDs are added very quickly, so if it doesn't
work, all you should have to do is to update to the latest kernel
package that's available from Ubuntu.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows