language problem redux

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:03:55 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 10:05 PM, Jerry Davis <jdawgaz at cox.net> wrote:

> I generated a file on our RH 4 linux box using a perl program I wrote from
> an
> oracle database that is set to utf8.
>
> I run that very same perl program on my windows box [ using cygwin ]
> (internally
> set to WINDOWS-1252). This way, I have a benchmark file to look at. This
> file is
> what it is supposed to look like. The spanish characters and other
> characters
> come out just fine when typed out at the terminal.
>
> I tried, on RH4, setting my LANG to en_US.utf8 and generating it, and
> copied it
> over to windows via sftp (which always copies over in binary mode, I found
> out), and it does not compare.
>
> I tried, on RH4, setting my LANG to en_US.CP1252 and regenerated it, copied
> it
> over to windows using sftp, and compared -- no soap.

Jerry, it would probably be useful to your helpers if you gave some
indocation of in what way it does not compare.  Though I do not suggest this
is your answer, an example might be that the version from linux had line
feeds while the version from cygwin on Windoze had both carriage returns and
line feeds.  So do a diff and capture the output in some form we can see.

> so ... does anyone have any ideas that might work? it rankles me that I
> have to
> run the program on windows to make it do the right thing.
>

> --
> Happy Trails!
> Jerry (K7AZJ)
> Hobbit Name: Pimpernel Loamsdown
> Registered Linux User: 275424
> This email's random fortune:
> You will inherit millions of dollars.

Man is the only animal that laughs and weeps, for he is the only animal that
is struck with the difference between what things are and what they ought to
be.
 - William Hazlitt