language problem redux

Jerry Davis jdawgaz at cox.net
Mon Mar 2 22:05:03 MST 2009

I generated a file on our RH 4 linux box using a perl program I wrote from an
oracle database that is set to utf8.

I run that very same perl program on my windows box [ using cygwin ] (internally
set to WINDOWS-1252). This way, I have a benchmark file to look at. This file is
what it is supposed to look like. The spanish characters and other characters
come out just fine when typed out at the terminal.

I tried, on RH4, setting my LANG to en_US.utf8 and generating it, and copied it
over to windows via sftp (which always copies over in binary mode, I found
out), and it does not compare.

I tried, on RH4, setting my LANG to en_US.CP1252 and regenerated it, copied it
over to windows using sftp, and compared -- no soap.

so ... does anyone have any ideas that might work? it rankles me that I have to
run the program on windows to make it do the right thing.

--
Happy Trails!
Jerry (K7AZJ)