C code to read USB Joysticks

Bob Elzer bob.elzer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:16:20 MST 2009

http://www.lvr.com/usb.htm

  _____

From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Mike
Bushroe
Sent: Monday, March 02, 2009 1:41 PM
To: plug-discuss at lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: C code to read USB Joysticks

I am trying to write a control program for my Underwater Robot. I plan to
use several USB Joysticks to input direction, speed, and robotic arm control
commands. I was planning on writing the control software running on the
laptop in C, with a simple loop to poll the joysticks, convert the values to
motor commands, then send the commands to the microcontroller on the robot
in a ascii string for the microcontroller to convert the motor commands into
PWM signals and switch controls.

My problem is that I have no idea how to read the values of the joystick X,
Y, and Z and buttons in C code. I have a test program that graphically shows
the joystick position and button states, so I know it can be done. But
without a sample of the interface routine, or directions on how to use an
API that someone else has provided, I am kind of stuck. I would gladly work
either in GCC on my Ubuntu system or M$ Visual Studio C, anything that will
allow me to talk to the USB devices.

Does anyone have a link to code that I can work from? Or suggestions on
where to read instructions on how to do this?

Mike