USB Live Ubuntu Persistence

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Mon Jun 29 19:11:41 MST 2009

Dazed_75 wrote:
>      > That sounds like a possibility all right. TTBOMK though, FAT32
>     has a 2G
>      > file size limit. :(
>      >

>     Now that I think of it though, are we confusing partition vs file sizes?
>     The 'overlay' partition would be what's over 2G, not a file. From what
>     I've seen of overlay filesystems, there are still going to be
>     independent files within the partition. It's not just one big file. As
>     such, I doubt this is the problem. As always, I could be wrong. I think
>     I was on that last post (except for the 2G part!).
>
>     --
>     -Eric 'shubes'

> Actually, FAT32 is 4GB limit according to several sources.  Which
> explains how I was able to put a DVD .iso on a FAT32, but not a FAT16
> partition.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314463
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938937.aspx
>
> --
> Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Thanks for correcting me, Larry. I don't know *where* I came up with
that. Perhaps fat16 partition limit.

That wikipedia link is very good. Kinda weird that the max file size is
4G on all 3 fat varieties, up to the partition size. So fat16 could
handle a 4G file, except the partition can only be 2G. Go figure.

--
-Eric 'shubes'