Ted T'so on SSD and journalling

Taylor, Kaia Kaia.Taylor at schwab.com
Tue Jun 23 14:33:27 MST 2009

Speaking of tweaking netbooks, I'll have one in hand soon.  I'd be happy to eventually give a brief presentation, following on hans's presentation and the idea that it might be neat to compare price/functionality/value.  Here's mine  http://www.mwave.com/mwave/SkuSearch_v3.asp?SCriteria=BA25872
I have 2 ideas, in terms of such a presentation

OS:
I'm assuming that Xandros (which comes pre-installed) will *have* to go, and while I'm doing that, why not match it up with someone else's OS in PLUG, so we can compare performance with no extra variables introduced by a different OS.  If anyone has an existing netbook, and is interested, give me a shout.  NB my cheapie netbook's SSD is only 4G.

Hardware diags:
I'm also wondering if anyone who has gotten a refurb like mine has a handy link to some baseline/diag tools to test everything before the manufacturer's warranty runs out.  My friend got an EEE which it turns out couldn't reach USB 2.0 speed on a couple of his ports, for instance.  That particular issue is easy to test by, whatever, time ... dd  to the SD card mounted on that port, but I'm guessing there are other hardware check scripts that can save me some work with other hw components.  We might want to run the same diags on different models of netbooks if we want to do side by side comparisons.

Regards,
Kaia Taylor

All e-mail sent to or from this address will be received by the Charles Schwab corporate e-mail system and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.