OT: SOLVED: What Computer to Take to Coilege and Brand new iTouch for Sale

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Tue Jun 23 11:14:43 MST 2009

Well, my daughter prevailed and decided to take a 13" Mac to college instead
of the awesome 13" Linux notebook I was offering to her (Debian with Virtual
Windows for iTunes.....it would have been fantastic...). Her money, her
choice. Alas, Lisa, she decided not to go with the red case....it was my
first choice as well...;-)

I guess every family sooner or later has a macsheep of the family pop up in
the gene line......

With the Mac we got a new shiny 8GB iTouch that we don't need. It is still
in the unopened highly un-green plastic box. If anyone is interested in
buying it, please let me know off list.

Mark

P.S. An amusing side note. We have a wired/wireless network at home. All of
our computers have a fixed IP address (many Linux, 1 Windows, now
a.........mac something). The wired router has DHCP enabled, but not the
wireless router. Anyway, she cannot connect the Mac wireless network, so we
called Apple. The agent on the line insisted that all networks have to have
DHCP enabled in order to work. In the Mac networking screen, it has as
options "DHCP" and "DHCP and manual", where you enter a fixed IP address
(but no netmask or other networking bits). The agent said until we enable
DHCP for the wireless network, we had a broken network, and should call back
anther time when we had fixed the network problem, and then hung up! My
first experience with Apple support.....not very satisfying.