CD access Ubuntu 8.04 / vmware player / Visduh

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sun Jun 21 15:47:32 MST 2009

I have a Ubuntu 8.04 host, running a Visduh guest using vmware player
2.5.1. It's working pretty well, but I don't really use Visduh much.

I'm trying to use the Windoze media player to rip a CD, accessing the
CDrom directly. The Vista VM is connected to the /dev/scd0 device, but
when I insert the CD, Ubuntu delightfully and magically puts the Audio
CD icon on my desktop, and launches the Sound Juicer. Ubuntu takes
possession of the CD device, and Visduh waits for access.

I can't seem to figure out how to get Ubuntu to release the device so
that VMware/Visduh can access it. Once I eject the disc from Ubuntu,
Visduh stops waiting for the device. When Ubuntu has access to the CDrom
device, there's no entry in /etc/mtab, so the device isn't mounted by
conventional means.

Can someone fill me in on where to look to find out what Ubuntu's using
to access the CDrom, and how I can get it to release (umount?) the da*m
thing without ejecting it?

TIA.

--
-Eric 'shubes'