Limit logins on a group of machines?

Bill Jonas bill at billjonas.com
Wed Jun 17 13:59:05 MST 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 11:31:39AM -0700, Charles Jones wrote:
> What if, you created a watchdog script that ran on a central machine,
> that every X seconds would ssh to all 3 machines and check for their
> login. and if it sees them login to one of the machines it locks their
> account and kills any existing logins on the other two?  :-)

I've kicked around that idea.  The main problem is that the number of
machines (virtual or otherwise) might be increasing.  Granted, it's
still only O(n) for each individual machine, but...

Actually, I thought of putting /var/chroot/var/log (the users in
question are chrooted) on a network share to get wtmp and utmp in common
(for a group of virtual machines), but that doesn't strike me as such a
great idea due to locking, etc.  (Maybe NFS, maybe Lustre, maybe
something different.)

--
Bill Jonas    *    bill at billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
"It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your front door.  You step