Pimp my Firefox/Iceweasel (You are using Iceweasel, right?) -- The Awesome Bar

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Jun 17 12:23:10 MST 2009

Am 17. Jun, 2009 schwätzte Ryan Rix so:

moin moin Ryan,

thanks for this post! I've wondered what these things were when they were
mentioned in release info, but I never got around to figuring it out.

I see a couple of ways I can improve how I use my browser. Danke.

ciao,

der.hans

> Google Chrome's OmniBar is cool.
> http://www.dashken.net/uploads/technology/software/Google_Chrome/Chrome_autocomplete.jpg
>
> You can do dang near anything in that little bar, the most powerful of
> which you can do in Firefox -- with no addons! (I'll bother you about
> Firefox addons some other day -- the folks who had to suffer through
> my West side meeting presentation have already heard it)
>
> Let's take a look at a few other cool things that you can do with a
> stock (no addon, theme or  hack) Firefox installation:
>
> **Auto-I'm-Feeling-Lucky-Fail**
>
> By default, Firefox takes any 'URL' that it doesn't recognize,
> attempts to tack on a .com, and if that doesn't work, does a Google
> "I'm feeling lucky" search on the text. This often leads to confusion
> when you end up on some random doorhole site in the middle of nowhere.
>
> So change it!
>
> In the URL bar, open "about:config" and find the entry 'keyword.URL'.
> This is the URL that Firefox uses to do the above search. You can
> easily update it to just do a simple Google search by replacing the
> entry with:
> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&&q=
>
> This will automatically bring you to Google for unknown entries. The
> upshot of this is that you now have a fully functioning google search,
> only an alt-d (or F6) away!
>
> **Bookmarklets and Custom Searches**
> This is where the real power of Firefox's URL bar lay: The ability to
> define custom searches and bookmarks to open using keywords in the URL
> bar, which Mozilla calls "Smart Keywords."
> http://img10.yfrog.com/img10/3372/r0l.png
> http://img517.yfrog.com/img517/4923/vkp.png
>
> There are three kinds of keywords that can be created: Bookmarklets
> (JavaScript snippets that do cool things), Custom Searches, and just
> plain old bookmarks, which are browsed to when you type in the
> keyword.
>
> ***Bookmarklets***
> Bookmarklets allow anyone with a small degree of knowledge in
> JavaScript to write a nice little script to do, well, something
> useful.
>
> In my case, my use is easily tweeting things. So I have made some
> JavaScript bookmarklets to help me:
>
> Tweet Selected Text:
> javascript:var%20r=window.open('http://twitter.com/home?status='+escape(document.getSelection().replace(/\s/g,'%20').replace(/%20{2,}/g,'%20')));
> This uses window.open to open a twitter status update url with the
> encoded version of my text selection.
>
> Tweet A Link:
> javascript:var%20r=window.open("http://twitter.com/home?status="+document.location);
> Easy: uses window.open to post the current document.location!
>
> These were hacked together after fifteen minutes of learning
> javascript from some other bookmarklets.
> [https://www.facebook.com/share_options.php]
> [http://codex.wordpress.org/Press_This] Note that the var%20r= is
> [...]

#  "He read his obituary with confusion." -- Steven Meretzky