sortof OT: wiki software

Charles Jones charles.jones at ciscolearning.org
Mon Jun 15 10:45:29 MST 2009

Jason Hayes wrote:
> I foresee that being a big block to the wiki's use. As I said, most of the
> people using the wiki will be non-tech types. They're also doing this project
> as an add on to their normal work duties, so if there is a steep learning
> curve for the markup, they may grow weary of the project quickly.
>
> If I can find a WYSIWYG module and people could just cut and paste from Word or
> OO Writer, that would help make the wiki more useful.

There is an office plugin for the "Confluence" wiki
(http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/personal-wiki.jsp) called
"Save-To-Wiki" that lets you upload Word or Excel docs directly to the
wiki, or alternatively just lets you copy the converted markup to your
clipboard so you can paste it yourself.

Confluence is a lot harder to setup and maintain than MediaWiki though,
as it uses a TomCat instance.  There may be similar Wiki markup
exporters for MediaWiki and other popular Wikis.