my router hates me [SUCCESS]

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Jun 13 23:53:27 MST 2009

On Sat, 13 Jun 2009, Craig White wrote:

> There are many forms of WPA but I think you are referring to WPA-PSK
> which is a 'pre-shared key' system. You put the pre-shared key into the
> 'access point/router' and also provide the same pre-shared key to
> whatever computer is trying to connect. WPA-PSK infers both an
> encryption method and an authentication method.

That gave me the push I needed. I checked the key in wicd's advanced
settings (Karl's famous "tiny little arrow") and sure enough it was one
from a previous attempt to reconfigure. I had forgotten to change it. No
wonder it wouldn't authenticate.

> WPA (TKIP) or WPA2 (AES) are encryption methods and both would use a
> separate backend radius server for authentication.

I have no reason to doubt you but I'm successfully (I think) running WPA
with TKIP and no server. What am I missing?

Thanks to all who helped.

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279