my router hates me

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Sat Jun 13 18:52:07 MST 2009

Try:
iwconfig eth1 essid lynksys
That should work...

Then type:
iwconfig
Alone.

You should see something like:

root at travelair:~# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wmaster0  no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"visionwisp11"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.462 GHz  Access Point: 00:19:3B:80:19:EF
          Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr=2352 B
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=53/100  Signal level:-65 dBm  Noise level=-73 dBm

pan0      no wireless extensions.

tun0      no wireless extensions.

root at travelair:~#

BTW:
Be root or "sudo"

The "Association" is:
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:"visionwisp11"
ET

PS: If everything else fails:
iwconfig --help
:)