my router hates me

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jun 13 13:28:31 MST 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 13:14 -0700, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jun 2009, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
>
> > BTW...
> > You seem to have the router configured for WPA.
> > WPA won't work without some serious tinkering and some other resources, like
> > servers and all sort of ugly stuff.
> > That may be the source of your problem.
> > Turn it off.
>
> I haven't seen this mentioned in all the not inconsiderable reading I've
> done. The only reference I've seen to having to run a server is in
> connection with WPA/WPA2 and the AES algorithm where there has to be a
> RADIUS server involved. I'm running WPA with the TKIP algorithm.
>
> If I'm wrong could you clarify or point me to a source? I ran across
> this at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb877996.aspx
>
> "For environments without a RADIUS infrastructure, WPA supports the use
> of a preshared key. For environments with a RADIUS infrastructure, WPA
> supports EAP and RADIUS."
>
> Forgive the source (M$).
>
> As I mentioned in a previous post, the connection fails with or without
> encryption enabled.
>
> Thanks for your continued patience. Between you and the other list
> members who have responded I know a bit more about networking than when
> I started.
----
There are many forms of WPA but I think you are referring to WPA-PSK
which is a 'pre-shared key' system. You put the pre-shared key into the
'access point/router' and also provide the same pre-shared key to
whatever computer is trying to connect. WPA-PSK infers both an
encryption method and an authentication method.

WPA (TKIP) or WPA2 (AES) are encryption methods and both would use a
separate backend radius server for authentication.

Craig

believed to be clean.