Linux work in Tucson

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Jun 11 13:07:19 MST 2009

From: Ryan Rix <phrkonaleash at gmail.com>
> Paul Mooring<drpppr242 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm looking for someone in Tucson to do some fairly minor linux
>> work, we have an old gateway server that needs a password reset
>> and ssh turned on.
> passwd && /etc/init.d/ssh start

The first won't work in some circumstances, like if everyone's
forgotten the root password to the box.  In that case, you pretty
much have to boot to a rescue CD, chroot to where / was, and then
do passwd.  Or reboot with "init=/bin/sh" in the kernel parameters
and mount / -o remount,rw , then do passwd.  All of this is pretty
easy and doesn't require a consultant.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows