OT: book to CD/DVD ?

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 09:16:31 MST 2009

Pressed discs are much more archivally (not sure if this is a word)
sound. Burned discs only have about a 5-8 year lifespan pressed discs
can last much longer to the 15-20+ year marks.

I do not know of a shop, but usually when you do pressed discs you
cant do a few its usually like getting a 100+ disc batch, but that
information is likely outdated.

the main difference between burned and pressed discs is that pressed
discs actually don't have much of a dyde but more of an etching
process burned/RW discs have a dye that reacts to air and light. and
interestingly the lexan that's commonly used is gas permeable.

I know this as right now the museum i am working for is running into
large scale archival solutions for video/audio that does not have a
lossy result. (if someone wants to chat about this feel free to
contact me as we don't have a true answer yet)

On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 12:53 PM, Mark Jarvis<m.jarvis at cox.net> wrote:

> I have access to an out of print genealogy/family history book which was
> previously cut apart, scanned and copies made (I didn't get one.). I'd like
> to scan it in again but this time put the scanned pages on a CD or DVD. Does
> anyone know of a reputable shop that they would recommend for this? I could
> scan the pages myself and burn the resulting discs, but would prefer to find
> a source for making commercially pressed disks. My understanding is that the
> actual bumps in the pressed versions are more permanent that the lasered dye
> layers in home burned discs.
>
> If anyone can point me to where I can read up on preferred scan resolution,
> output format, general information, etc. for such a project, I'd appreciate
> it. I don't know enough about the necessary details to even guess whether a
> 200+ page book would fit on a CD or would require a DVD.
>
> Please reply on-list if this is of somewhat general interest, off-list to
> m.jarvis at cox.net if not.
>
> Thanks again for any help,
>
> Mark Jarvis

Stephen