Thinkpad z60t wwireless w/centos

Dennis Kibbe dennisk at sahuaro.us
Mon Jun 8 15:48:53 MST 2009

> I have a lenovo/IBM thinkpad Z60T that I am unable to set up wireless
> under
> Centos.  I have tried several online howtos, and so far no luck.
>
> The Thinkpad wireless info is as follows:
>
> 0000:13:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212
> 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
>
> At this point I wonder if I have tried too many things and changed to
> many drivers around. I would be open to reinstalling centos if needed.
>
> Should I come into the next install fest, or does someone have a howto
> that they have actually had work????
>
> It does work under ubuntu 9.04, but I would like to stay with centos
> for now as it is my learning system right now for RHCE.
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Phariss

Hi Steve,

Are you using the Atheros ath5k driver that ships with CentOS?

modprobe ath5k

Centos 5.x doesn't have NetworkManager running by default you can start it
with System/Administration/Services and check that bok so it starts on
reboot. It *should* show up as your wifi device.

dennisk

--
"Free as in Freedom"
Free Software Foundation