my router hates me

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sat Jun 6 22:13:31 MST 2009

I'm starting a new thread because of a new problem.

After getting wireless running for a few days I suddenly can't connect
the laptop wirelessly (is that a word?). At first the attempt stalled at
getting the ip address.Just now it stalled at authentication. I tried
resetting the router and reloading the configuration that used to work.
No luck. The only way the router will connect is hard wired from either
the router or the modem.

Now the fun part. The desktop box will not connect when hardwired to the
router, only when wired to the modem, even though the laptop will. This
one stalls at getting the ip address.

To repeat, all settings were those that worked for 2-3 days.

Laptop is a Dell Latitude running Ubuntu 8.04 and wicd. The desktop runs
the same s/w.

In the 10 yrs or so using Linux (Redhat 6.0 and 7.3, fc 8 and 9, Debian
4.0 and 5.0) I have never had so much trouble as this, my first attempt
at networking.

This list has been quite a bit of help in the past. I'm hoping someone
can point me in the right direction now.

--
Bob Holtzman
AF9D 8760 0CFA F95A 6C77  E125 BF90 580F 8D54 9279