OT: Safari Books

Carlos Macedo Gomes powerofprimes at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 09:58:53 MST 2009

Seems you're getting a bunch of positive responses on Safari and I'm be
adding my voice to that positive chorus.  I have access to the full Safari
at work and a also limited version via my ACM (or maybe IEEE) membership and
I like the service. I'm pretty sure that if it didn't come to me as a
work/member benefit I would still pay for the service directly.
I still like physical books for obvious reasons but got used to using
electronic books during my recent time in graduate school.  The keyword
search functions across entire libraries are unbeatable especially for
somewhat esoteric topics.  It's also nice when colleagues also use the
service since you can hyperlink or share bookmarks to help explain your
position or question in more detail.

I also have Books24x7 (again via work and ACM/IEEE membership) and recommend
that system for a broader base of books from various publishers.  Books24x7
has books from various publishers covering different domains:
science/engineering, technology (software/hardware & high-tech/low-tech),
business, professional development, etc).  For a book junkie, the regular
emails w/ summary of new books and ability to (virtually) add an almost
endless stream of interesting books to your (virtual) bookshelf is very
gratifying :-).

ymmv,
C.G.

powerofprimes at gmail.com