Serial Port Terminal Emulation problems in Ubuntu

Ryan Rix phrkonaleash at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 21:56:30 MST 2009

On Fri 31 July 2009 7:19:28 pm Lisa Kachold wrote:
> On 7/31/09, Jim March <1.jim.march at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Quoting:
> >
> > If I'm reading this right, the editor in question resides on the box
> > he's diddling with, NOT the Ubuntu box.  So unless the router he's
> > configuring is running a Debian family OS (unlikely, right?) this
> > won't work :)
>
> His problem was stated as:
>
> --quote
>
> I am using Ubuntu at work, were connect to a Linux based Ether
> switch/router both by serial port and by telnet.
>
> ---end quote
>
> There are a great number of debian linux switches (like IpCop):
>
> But hey, thanks for not stereotyping me; I love being corrected just
> like one of the guys!

In that case; does he have root on the box(en) to do the install?

---
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

[...] or some clown changed the chips on a board and not its name.
(Don't laugh!  Look at the SMC etherpower for that.)
	-- from /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash at gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash at yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh at irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
      countless other FOSS channels.