Kmail or Evolution?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jul 30 14:35:48 MST 2009

I used to use Thunderbird entirely until I worked for a company that ran
Exchange, so rather than run Evolution AND Thunderbird, I ended up
consolidating to Evolution alone.  At first it was painful circa Ubuntu
7.10 days crashing all the time, but it was the only usable way I could
access exchange with linux since M$ provides around 5% of the normal
functionality for non-activex capable clients with their "basic
mode" (i.e. screw anything non-M$).  I endured and watched it get
progressively better starting around 8.04 hardy, to rarely if ever
crashing on Jaunty.  At this point I'm pretty comfortable recommending
Evolution for even enterprise users.

I really have no experience with kmail, so can't say which is "better".
I do wish someone would port an exchange module for Thunderbird, with
it's new calendaring through Sunbird, I'd flip back in a second still.

-mb