BAD kubuntu

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 23:40:12 MST 2009

To be honest, it sounds like you have a more basic problem (disk space, disk
failing, bad memory, hardware conflicts, 3rd party software conflicts,
etc).  Switching distros may or may not help.  Even if it does, it could
re-occur later.  Tons of other folks had the kernel update as well and I've
not heard of any such problems.

Obviously, you need to fix or install something, but I would suggest booting
a live CD or USB stick to do some checking first.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Trent Shipley <trent_shipley at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I've been running Kubuntu on my desktop for a while now.  Since the upgrade
> to 9.04 it has worked really well.  Today the update program said the kernel
> had to be updated for security reasons, so I updated.  Now the @#$% computer
> won't finish booting.  This has happened before -- frequently.  Until now I
> have been lucky and some old kernel known to GRUB would boot.  Not this
> time.  I have a perfectly good /home directory that I cant get to.  When
> this has happened before I've tried burning an Ubuntu install DVD.  That
> won't work.  The install DVD naturally has the latest kernel so it won't
> boot my Dell desktop either.
>
> I am annoyed with Kubuntu.  I used SuSE before Ubuntu.  Who wants to
> recommend a good desktop distro for someone who thinks WIMP interfaces are a
> great advance over the command line?  I prefer KDE to Gnome, but it's not a
> big deal either way.

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions,
that I wish it always to be kept alive.
 - Thomas Jefferson