I need help with IPCop.

Matthew A Coulliette matthewlug at cox.net
Wed Jul 29 22:57:41 MST 2009

hi,

First of all, I would like to apologize for the long email. But, I have
a few questions that I have not been able to find the answers to. So, I
would greatly appreciate any helpful advice. Here is the setup of my
network:

router (IPCop)		workstations	servers
red: 98.172.82.xxx	192.168.0.3	192.168.0.2 - data server
org: 192.168.2.1	192.168.0.4	192.168.2.2 - web server
blu: 192.168.1.1	192.168.0.5
grn: 192.168.0.1	192.168.0.6	wireless access point
					192.168.1.2

all workstations run ubuntu desktop 9.04
both servers run ubuntu server 9.04

as you probably know:
red = www (internet)
org = dmz (De-Militarized Zone)
blu = wlan (wireless part of a local area network)
grn = lan (local area network) (hardwired)

Here are my questions:
1. Where do I find the add-ons for ipcop and how do I install them?

2. Right now I have it setup to log me in automatically as 'admin'. But,
when I click on 'blue access' in the 'firewall' menu, IPCop takes me to
a page labeled 'FORBIDDEN'. Saying that I requested access to something
above my permitted level. Do I need to login as 'root' to work on the
firewall settings? If so, how do I get a login prompt again so that I
can enter the root user name and password?

3. Part A: IPCop says that the 'wap' and the 'web server' ips are out of
range. I know this is true because I assigned them from the green DHCP
server. To fix this mistake, I beleive that I should acquire 2 more ips
from Cox. Then assign 1 of them to the 'wap' and 1 to the 'web server'.
True?

3. Part B: If this is true, then the people on the www would have to
pass through the IPCop firewall to deliver packets to the new Cox ips
for the 'wap' and 'web server'? Should I have the 'wap' hand out the ip
addresses and then tell IPCop which addresses the 'wap' is handing out,
thus creating the "pin hole" through the firewall?

3. Part C: Lastly, I am planning on starting the web server with just a
traditional 'LAMP' server running on it. So, what I have been told is to
use port forwarding at this point. So, which ports on the red nic
should I forward, to which ports on the web server's nic? Do I need to
tell the LAMP server to listen to a non-standard port number? Does port
forwarding provide for 2 way traffic? How do I test that my port
forwarding is working? The ping command should not work with this setup,
correct?

Thanks, for taking the time to read and reply to this email. I
appreciate it very much.

MatthewMPP