Is there an ntop virus for Linux?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Jul 29 12:41:44 MST 2009

Not that I know of, and I find it hard to believe ntop would start
default on any distro, especially debian.  Must have got in via another
odd dependency.  It's typically a standalone app and webserver of its
own for diagnosing tcp/udp application flows from the flag level, not
typically used by most outside of networking folk.  I'm not sure it even
offers a direct api for another app to use unless an app is scraping, I
suppose its possible another has it as a dependency.

It usually is stable under low loads, so if it's freaking out, either
its a bad build, you have a lot of broadcast/unicast flooding occurring
that it's seeing, or "normal" traffic of your own its crunching on.
I've killed it with gratuitous bittorrent connections on a slow test
box.

What does it show when you http to:

http://localhost:3000

Should be default port.  If you get curious, maybe you should.  :)

-mb