Is there an ntop virus for Linux?

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Jul 29 10:10:20 MST 2009

Am 29. Jul, 2009 schwätzte Mark Phillips so:

> I am not monitoring network usage. This weird behavior just started a week
> or so ago.

Did you install any packages about then that might use ntop as a daemon or
inlude and ntop update?

Or maybe ntop has been running for a long time, but some recent change is
not causing it to eat more resources. One such change would be putting
your ethernet connection in promiscuous mode for a VM or something.

> Any other thoughts, or should I just disable ntop from init.d:
>
> update-rc.d -f  ntop remove

That's the better way to remove the start/stop scripts.

> P.S. Since I started ntop to check the output from ps, I let it run. And
> sure enough, after a few minutes, the fan started blowing hard and CPU usage
> went over 90% for ntop. Now I am really confused....I guess the real
> question is why do I need ntop to start my laptop?

So it looks like there's something generally causing ntop to use a lot of
resources. I believe there was a recent update for ntop with a bunch of
new features. Not sure that would already be in the repos, though.

ciao,

der.hans
#  You can't handle the source! - der.hans