cheese failing silently

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jul 27 12:20:10 MST 2009

I've had the same problem with Cheese across several distro's now, and
have just given up on whatever being broken being so.  I've got a Dell
xps m1330 with known cheese issues (dell linux list confirms numerous
users with issue) that thus far no one has actually fixed yet, mostly
because there are problems both from the uvcvideo side, as well as from
Cheese.  Exact same symptoms, camera will light twice, indicate it's
working, but will only show black for an image.  Ekiga and other video
apps work fine.

I've even tried recompiling uvcvideo modules with updates that
supposedly fix the issue from their side, but Cheese still fails, even
latest on Jaunty ubuntu.  The only thing I can recommend is maybe try
compiling your own Cheese from SVN to see if it works locally from the
binary directory, and if so use checkinstall to make a deb package to
update to.  I stopped caring whether it worked or not to go this
far.  :)

-mb